Thursday, July 23, 2009

Turkish Delight

This is one of my most favorite recipes and I searched for it for a long time. I never wanted to share it until now, I guess I'm a little selfish but anyways here it is and I hope you might enjoy it as much as I do.
Ingredients;
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1 oz. powdered gelatin
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tbsp rose water (I get my rose water from www.mountainroseherbs.com) their rose water is organic and the best I have ever found.
pink food coloring
3 tbsp confectioner's sugar sifted
1 tbsp cornstarch
(1)Wet the insides of 2x7 shallow square pans with water. Place the sugar and all but 4 tbsp of water into a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
(2) Blend the gelatin and remaining water in a small bowl and place over a saucepan of hot water. Stir occasionally until dissolved. Bring the sugar syrup to a boil and boil steadily for about 8 minutes. Stir the cream of tartar into the gelatin, then pour into the boiling syrup and stir until well blended. Remove from heat.
(3) Add the rose-water and a few drops of pink food coloring to tint the mixture pale pink. Pour the mixture into the pans and allow to set for several hours or overnight. Dust a sheet of waxed paper with some powdered sugar and cornstarch. Dip the base of the pan in hot water. Invert onto the paper. Cut into 1 inch squares using an oiled knife. Toss in confectioner's sugar to coat evenly.
I found this recipe in an old craft book and is the best recipe I have ever found for the Turkish delight candy. The book is called A Country Christmas, by Lorenz Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment